As a Holistic Cancer Center of Santa Barbara, Purety Family Medical Clinic provides integrative oncology care to the community. Purety Clinic accepts patients as a holistic cancer center of Santa Barbara for as much supportive care as the patient desires.
Our holistic cancer center of Santa Barbara focuses on the branch of medicine called Integrative oncology – this is the branch of medicine that aims at minimizing the side effects and after effects of cancer treatments while maintaining and potentially increasing the effectiveness of the treatments.
Medical oncology has become more and more sophisticated and targeted towards the needs and management of each type of cancer. The goal of chemotherapy and radiation treatments are to be specific towards eradicating the cancerous cells while preserving our precious normal tissue. Unfortunately, none of these treatments are perfect. With chemotherapy and radiation, there is inherently a broader focus, and normal healthy cells and tissue frequently get involved and severely injured in the process. When chemotherapy is applied, it goes throughout the entire body so there is no control how it affects the healthy cells. Radiation is more focused on the cancerous tissue, but there is frequently quite amount of damage to the immediate surrounding. Ideally, we want to keep a delicate balance to protect the normal cells while helping the chemotherapy and radiation to be even more effective.
Here at our holistic cancer center of Santa Barbara, frequent modalities used are:
- nutritional support
- Biopuncture and prolozone
- herbal medicine
- physical medicine
- ozone and oxygen therapies
- Intravenous IV drip nutrient support including:
- High-dose Vitamin c
- Alpha Lipoic Acid
- IV Curcumin
Cancer treatments are frequently hard on the entire system as well as the cancerous tissue, which makes it so important for the healthy tissues to be supported throughout and after treatment.
Intravenous (IV) therapies in integrative oncology have many uses, including nutrient replacement, hydration, cell support, improvement of standard oncologic therapies, general quality of life care, decreasing post-treatment effects of radiation and chemotherapy, as well as direct potential anti-cancer effects.
As a comprehensive cancer research center focusing on holistic treatments, we are confident in implementing BIORC protocols as a basis of our holistic cancer center treatments here in Santa Barbara.
BIORC is the Bastyr Integrative Oncology Research Center. Their organized research study began in 2009 when they received NIH funding to study the outcomes using supporting holistic cancer support treatments for various types and stages of cancer.
Within the first three years, the BIORC had treated:
- Eight patients with stage IV colon cancer. Three years after the initiation of their care at BIORC, 80% were still alive; only 15% of Seattle Cancer Care patients in this group were alive at 3 years.
- 12 consecutive patients with stage IV lung cancer and 64% were still alive at 3 years. This compared favorably with the 15% reported by Seattle Cancer Care and the 4% reported by SEER (Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results Program).
- Eleven consecutive stage III ovarian cancer patients – at 3 years, 83% were still alive. This was compared to the SEER national data report of 49%.
- For Stage IV breast cancer, 18 patients received intravenous therapy while 28 did not. At 3 years, 100% of the patients who received intravenous treatments were alive, compared to 70% who did not.
This initial data was highly encouraging, and Medscape published the article ‘Can Integrative Oncology Extend Life in Advanced Disease?‘. BIORC continues to expand their research and we are excited to see the results as holistic cancer treatments continue to become more sophisticated.
We maintain relationships with the doctors involved in the BIORC study and are continuously advancing our integrative oncology and cancer support modalities here in Santa Barbara.
Here at Purety Clinic, our goal is to become a member of your team to actively manage your condition towards your goals. Your path of holistic healing support will be comprised as follows:
- Initial consultation ~90 minutes. This includes in depth health history, pertinent physical exams, laboratory orders if necessary, and goals established.
- Laboratory exams reviewed, symptoms and treatment path established, oral and IV therapies begin.
- Physical medicine and follow-up consultations are scheduled depending on need.
- Personalized treatment path is continuously reviewed and potentially altered depending on response and goals. Treatments are altered depending on desire of tumor regression or recovery.
- We will go as in-depth with treatment as you desire.
- Maintenance continues to be monitored and established throughout healing path.
The goals and modes of treatment vary with the severity of the condition as well as depending on the individual. Patients with a very low penetrating tumor that can be taken completely out by surgery simply wants to heal, and maintain remission by focusing on preventive care.
On the far other end of the spectrum, a patient with a cancer that is very advanced and not responding to treatment needs to focus on living their life as comfortably as possible while receiving a more palliative approach.
Both of these situations are very different, and there is everything in between. No two people will get the same treatment because of this. Their bodily needs are different.
- side effects of medical cancer treatments such as:
- nerve pain and inflammation
- brain fog
- scar tissue
- joint pain
- skin issues
- digestive issues
- loss of hair
- Surgery recovery:
- maintaining function
- reducing pain after beating down a cancer growth.
- Immune system dysfunction
- Increasing natural killer cell NK cell activity
- addressing autoimmune disease if necessary
The primary concern of any patient is to protect quality of life. For a serious condition such as cancer, the integrative oncologist devotes 100% effort to keeping the cancer patient healthy, freeing the medical oncologist to focus exclusively on removing the cancer.
We are honored and grateful to become health partners with each and every one of our patients. Please feel free to call us at your convenience with any questions. We look forward to getting to know you.